Email us for any question

Open Hours

Fire Meetings: Every Monday at 6:00.  All are welcome.

Frequently Asked Questions

Fire Department Services & Regulations

Who should I contact in case of an emergency?
If you have an emergency, dial 9-1-1 to reach Manistee County Central Dispatch. They coordinate all emergency services in the county, including law enforcement, fire, and emergency medical response. The dispatcher will take your information, assess the situation, and send the appropriate emergency service to your location.
Where are the fire stations located in Stronach Township?
We have two fire stations in Stronach Township. The main station is at 2471 Main Street in the village of Stronach. The second station is at the corner of M-55 and Skocelas Roads, approximately 8 miles from the village of Stronach.
What is the response time for emergency calls?
Response times can vary based on a number of factors, including the availability of personnel, the time of day, traffic conditions, and weather. Regardless, we always strive to respond to your call as quickly and safely as possible.
Is there personnel at the fire stations all the time?
As a paid-on-call fire department, we don’t have staff at our stations around the clock. However, we hold regular weekly meetings for training and equipment checks every Monday at 6:00 P.M., and there may be fire personnel onsite during these times.
Can I visit the fire stations?
Yes, you’re welcome to visit during our weekly meetings on Monday evenings at 6:00 P.M. Please understand that our ability to accommodate visitors may be limited if we’re responding to an emergency or conducting training sessions.

Becoming a Firefighter

Is the Stronach Township Fire Department currently hiring?
Yes, the Stronach Township Fire Department is always looking for dedicated individuals to join our team. We are a paid-on-call fire department and our personnel are residents from our local community who are ready to respond at a moment’s notice.
What are the minimum requirements to become a firefighter at the Stronach Township Fire Department?
The minimum requirements include being at least 18 years old, having proof of high school graduation or a GED certificate, physically capable of performing firefighting duties, passing a physical agility test, holding a valid driver’s license (a valid Michigan Driver’s License is required for initial employment), having a satisfactory background check for criminal record, driving record, and personal history, possessing or being able to acquire firefighter certification as mandated by the State Of Michigan Firefighters Training Council, not having any felony convictions, and living within a reasonable distance from the fire station.
Where can I fill out an application to become a firefighter at the Stronach Township Fire Department?
You can fill out an application online on the Stronach Fire Department web page. Alternatively, a printed application form can be obtained from the Stronach Township Clerk’s Office located at 2471 Main Street RR3, Manistee, Michigan 49660.
Can I download the application to become a firefighter at the Stronach Township Fire Department?
Yes, you can download the application form from our website. After filling it out, you can submit it either in person at our office or online.
How quickly do I need to respond to calls as a firefighter at the Stronach Township Fire Department?
Since we don’t have full-time firefighters on-duty at the fire station, we require our personnel to live within a reasonable distance from the fire station. That way, they can respond to calls as quickly as possible in case of an emergency.

Emergency Training and Equipment

Do you offer CPR and First-Aid Classes?
We don’t currently organize CPR or First-Aid classes, but some of our team members can offer these courses in their free time. If you’re interested, call us at 231-723-7983 and leave your details so we can get back to you.
Can I learn how to install a car safety seat from your department?
No, we don’t provide this service. But you can find classes and child safety seat checks in the area. Contact your hospital’s reception for more information, or visit
Can you recommend a specific smoke alarm/carbon monoxide detector?
We don’t endorse any particular brand or model. The important thing is to have a working detector on each floor and in every sleeping area. For more advice, check out the National Fire Protection Association website.
How often should I change the batteries in my Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Alarm?
Replace your detector batteries at least once a year and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions. A good time to remember this is when changing your clocks in the spring or fall. Also, test your detector monthly to ensure it’s working correctly. If it’s constantly set off by cooking, you might need to replace the batteries sooner.
What does a chirping sound or constant beep from my detector mean?
Usually, these sounds indicate low batteries, but it can vary between models. Always replace the battery at least once a year to ensure safety.
How often should I replace my smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector?
This depends on the manufacturer’s recommendation. It was suggested in the past that detectors should be replaced every 10 years, but some manufacturers now recommend every 6 years. Check your manual or the company’s website for specifics.

Fire Prevention and Safety

What does "Open Burning" mean?
Open burning refers to the burning of materials like paper, trees, brush, leaves, grass, and other debris in the open air. The smoke and emissions from this burning are released directly into the air without passing through a chimney or stack. This activity can cause air pollution and fire hazards.
Why is Open Burning a problem?
Open burning can cause air pollution, irritate eyes and lungs, obscure visibility, soil surfaces, create unpleasant odors, or pose health threats. Due to these problems, many state and local laws prohibit open burning of many materials.
What are the regulations around Open Burning in Michigan?
In Michigan, open burning is regulated by the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act and associated rules. Local units of government also often regulate open burning through local laws.
Do I need a permit for Open Burning?

Yes, you may need a burn permit which can be obtained using the Burn Permits Management System interactive county map located at A burn permit doesn’t allow burning that’s prohibited by other regulations.

When is the use of consumer fireworks permitted?
You can find information on when consumer fireworks are permitted here.
Should I inform the fire station before I start an Open Burning?
It’s always a good idea to let your local fire department know when you plan to do any burning. It’s also wise to check if there are any local regulations requiring you to do so.
Can I have a campfire?
Yes, you can have a campfire as long as you follow the State of Michigan Open Burning Rules and Regulations.
Is it safe to have a barbecue grill on my apartment balcony?
No, using barbecue grills on balconies or wooden decks of apartment complexes is prohibited because it’s extremely dangerous. Fires that cause major damage often start on apartment balconies.

Insurance and Property Concerns

What is an Insurance Services Office Rating (ISO) and what's mine?
An ISO rating assesses the fire protection in a community and can affect your insurance premiums. In Stronach Township, the ISO rating varies, being a 9 in some areas and a 10 or 10A in others. We advise you to speak with your insurance company about your particular rating.
Why is my ISO rating different if I live just outside the city?
ISO ratings are determined by various factors, including the presence of a local fire department, response times, water system infrastructure, the number of staff, and equipment available. For more information, visit Verisk .
Where can I find the nearest fire hydrant in Stronach Township?
Stronach Township doesn’t have fire hydrants. However, we use Water Tenders, special vehicles equipped with large water tanks, for fire suppression. We also have mutual aid agreements with other fire departments in Manistee County for additional support.
How can I get a copy of the Incident Report after a fire at my residence?
To request an Incident Report, please call the Stronach Township Hall at 231-723-7983 and leave a message. Generally, there’s no charge for this service, but in some cases, a fee may apply.
Can the Fire Department provide records of environmental issues at a specific location?
No, we don’t maintain records on environmental issues. For information on underground gas tanks, spills, etc., contact the county building department, Manistee County Drain Commission, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), or the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).


Can the fire department fill up my swimming pool?
The fire department can fill swimming pools, but this is done on a case-by-case basis as determined by the Fire Chief. We recommend contacting local pool companies with large tanker trucks for this service. For special events like local fire prevention awareness programs, we may fill dunk tanks, but this requires prior approval from the Fire Chief.
I have some stuffed animals. Can the fire department use them?
Yes, we appreciate donations of stuffed animals as we give them to children involved in car accidents to help comfort them. However, please contact the Fire Chief, Police Chief, Sheriff’s Department, or Tribal Police before you drop them off to ensure we have sufficient storage space. All donated stuffed animals should be clean, in good condition, and free of rips or tears.
Does the fire department accept hazardous materials like batteries or mercury for disposal?
No, the fire department does not accept hazardous materials. Manistee County usually organizes a hazardous materials drop-off day each year for safe disposal of items like old paint, oil, etc. Please contact your local governing body for information on drop-off days and locations.
Does Stronach Township have a severe weather warning system?

Stronach Township does not have a siren-based warning system. We recommend purchasing a NOAA Weather Radio and signing up for the CODE RED alert system via the Manistee County Sheriff’s Department website. You can also use early warning notification apps available on Android and Apple stores.

What should I do if my carbon monoxide alarm goes off?
If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds, call 911 immediately and evacuate your residence without attempting to gather personal belongings. Close doors and windows behind you to ensure accurate readings when the fire department arrives to monitor the carbon monoxide levels. For more information on carbon monoxide and its symptoms, visit the National Fire Protection Association’s carbon monoxide page .